{The List-} Movement, supply, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• {The List-} Movement, supply, etc.

This is the place to discuss new ideas to be added to the Civ 4 List, if they have to do with movement, supply and the like.

The directory of other List threads can be found here.

Pages 1 to 7 are done. I've put this part of the List into a Word document which can be found on page 8 with a bunch of bouncer smilies ( ) to recognize it.

If you have comments about this document, go ahead.
    Last edited by Trifna; January 19, 2005, 07:16.
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Use C3's movement and supply (or the lack thereof) system. It's simple and it works.

Comment

Naval units need to move a lot faster than they already do. At least, later era ones need to. I propose giving different movement values to the coast, sea, and ocean. That way galleys can move quickly along the coast, but they'll never get anywhere out in the open. Higher technology ships would have to have extraordinarily high movement values though.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Naval units can't move much faster without completely destroying naval combat. It just makes it impossible to defend a coastline.

Comment

I think that it would be fun to have supply lines for armies, it would probably be much to complex. With that in mind, the old ideas from Civ II and III seem best.
          Vote Democrat
          Support Democracy

Comment

Good point. Unless you give naval units the ability that coastal fortresses have. Hmm...
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I do agree with the high moves cost for sea and ocean though. However, rather than high moves for modern units, just make them ignore moves cost for those terrains (this can even be done in C3).

Comment

And again, good point.

Comment

skywalker, I think that even if naval units move faster, there is ONE way to save naval combat:
                  exactly as Civ3 air combat was working with a radius, but you would defend some waters. This way, I think it is representative. But it certainly needs to be done better than air combat in Civ3.

Comment

Have transports on land. For instance a marine unit can hitch a ride on, say, an APC. It's faster than moving... one... square... at... a ... time..., but it can get blown away easily.

Comment

Some supply lines related elements are already implemented in civ3, IMO:
                      - one of them is the impossibility to use enemy roads and railroads. Having to resupply an army is certainly slowing it down, even if this is not the only and primary reason why we can't use them (the roads).
                      - the other one is the impossibility to heal in enemy territory. While the main reason is the lack of hospitals and proper conditions in the combat zone, being dependent on (medical, food) supplies is also part of the equation.

I wouldn't complicate too much the whole supply thing, but I have an idea that is realistic and simple, IMHO:
                      - make military equipment and troops stationed in enemy territory cost 1 extra gold! The cost of resupplying these troops!

Now the warmonergs will eat me alive
                      "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                      --George Bernard Shaw
                      A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                      --Woody Allen

Comment

I like the movement system used in the double your pleasure mod for PtW. roads in that one double the movement, instead of triple it, and boats have increasingly superior movement as the ages go on.

As an add on, i think SOME units that have the 'all terrain as roads' feature, should move slightly further when moving on roads.

there should also be amphibious units, such as modern workers who can work land and water tiles and maybe some sort of hovercratf unit that can go land and sea... but that gets into units.
                        "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                        - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                        Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Regarding Movement...

Freedom from tiles
                          Let's have a coordinate system. No more squares! It will allow for a great deal more variety in movement rates, instead of 1, 2 or three. Woo hoo.

We can have coordinates on the traditional flat map, but I think it would be even greater if implemented on a spherical map.

I like the mission and radius system for airpower a great deal, but don't think that I would enjoy it for navies.

Comment

- make military equipment and troops stationed in enemy territory cost 1 extra gold! The cost of resupplying these troops!
                            I like this.

I want something done with the naval movement, too. skywalker's point is a good one, but there's an easy solution - instead of making the units move faster, give sea squares movement bonuses (like with roads and so). Perhaps higher movement bonuses to certain routes (for instance, in the Earth map, the currents Columbus used to get to America?)
                            "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                            "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

There are basically two major groups in military (Iraq, Vietnam...): armed troops and support troops.

Of course troops may also support themselves on the field, pillaging or else. But another possibility (and often the only effective one) is support the troops. I just thaught that some AI-directed support troops could relay between your territory and your troops in another territory. It would be done automatically, the player wouldn't touch a thing about it (but the player could place units to protect though).

It would arrange alot of stuff about sending troop to war. War making more sense economically (you can pillage instead of support, and support may have a cost) and tactically (difficulty of invading would make more sense, protecting could be useful...).

Of course, some factors would have an effect on the capacity to support or pillage, like technology, money,terrain, whattever (up to be seen)...

Comment

Working...
                              X